Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro export layout not clipping to graphics extent

Jump to solution
01-15-2021 01:43 AM
Labels (1)
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.0. 

I often have to export JPEG map images that are the width of an A4 portrait page but not a full page in height. The layout elements are normally all contained within the map frame, so I just draw a frame of the size I want and tick the 'clip to graphics extent' box when exporting. I will change the map layers and export several maps from the same template without touching the layout elements. Every now and then the layout exports with a strip of empty layout page at the bottom, despite the fact that the 'clip to graphics extent' button is still ticked, and no elements have been moved since the last export. I can't work out any pattern to this. The strip is of varying height each time it happens. Sometimes this happens for one image exported off a template, but not for the one afterwards, and I only notice when going back through the files later. Sometimes it happens continually, and Pro seems 'locked' into exporting images with a random strip at the bottom. Toggling the 'clip to graphics extent' switch on and off and closing Pro and opening it don't seem to do anything. The only way to 'reset' it seems to be to rebuild a new layout from scratch, which is very frustrating and time consuming.

Screenshot below of thumbnail images from the same template that were all exported with 'clip to graphics extent' ticked. The third image has the strip I am referring to.

YusefSamari_0-1610702828857.png

Screenshot of my layout workspace, showing all the elements either within the map frame or off the layout page, with the 'Clip to graphics extent' button ticked:

YusefSamari_1-1610703427045.png

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

OK, I think I've solved it, and it was obviously something obvious - I just needed to switch off all elements that were outside the page before exporting. I'm pretty sure I have just placed inactive elements (such as the table frame for which the data layer is switched off in the screenshot above) outside the page in the past and it has exported and clipped to graphics extent just fine. Anyhow, problem solved, for now, apparently!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

OK, I think I've solved it, and it was obviously something obvious - I just needed to switch off all elements that were outside the page before exporting. I'm pretty sure I have just placed inactive elements (such as the table frame for which the data layer is switched off in the screenshot above) outside the page in the past and it has exported and clipped to graphics extent just fine. Anyhow, problem solved, for now, apparently!