Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and earlier: Layer's Data Source Could Not Be Changed

01-31-2018 07:26 AM
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

I am having a hard time determining why ArcGIS Pro will not let me change the data source on a feature in my map. 

The basic issue is that I have a feature layer which is a nation-wide census tracts file which I have applied a symbology to.  I want to replace the data source with a subset of the exact same data source for a more localized region so that I can retain the symbology but just replace it with a source that is just downsized (easier to display and manipulate).

The new data source is exactly the same as the old data source so I am quite puzzled why Pro will not let me change it. This is not the first time I have encountered this, and has been an issue since at least Pro 1.4...

Changing data sources is an important part of my workflow because I use projects as templates with pre-loaded demographic layers with applied symbology which I simply change the data source from project to project - makes things very efficient not to have to redo and re-apply symbology for 15 different layers - just change the source.

Anyone else run into this issue and discover a solution? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I have run into a similar issue in 2.1.2 where I had a broken SDE link and then I tried to use an SDE connection file of the same user which was unable to connect to SDE so I could not fix the broken link.  In my scenario I imported an mxd with an existing broken link into an aprx that had my favorite SDE connections added.  When I tried to use the SDE connection in the aprx I was unable to connect to SDE.  I then fixed the broken link in the mxd, saved the mxd and then imported the fixed mxd into an aprx and I was now able to access the same SDE connection file that did not work in the previous aprx.  As such, in my scenario it seems that an aprx that has a broken link with an SDE connection from the mxd import process causes the SDE connection file to never work even if you remove the SDE connection file, save the aprx, close the aprx, re-open the aprx and then again try adding and using the same SDE connection file.

0 Kudos