ArcGIS for Personal Use - authorization issue

06-23-2022 05:34 AM
SamehMahmoud77
New Contributor II

Dear All , 

I've Purchased ArcGIS for Personal Use and already installed ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap - ArcPro) , and download my License file from MyEsri which is starts with (ESU) 

my problem is ArcGIS Pro didn't accept the authorization file that i had used for ArcMap , and when i purchased the license , it was wrote that the license provides Arcpro and Arcmap Advanced version .

i need Use ArcGIS pro with single use but when i trying to authorized the file of license it told me that "this already use on this machine"

i need your help because i have only access on ArcMap and i need ArcGIS pro also .

i wish it clear enough for helping

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Not certain how it will work for a Personal Use license. But I will need to find out because when I retire I will need to have GIS in my life as a past time. 

I am thinking that maybe you have to set up the license via ArcGIS Online.  Our licensing for Pro requires us to log into an  AGOL account where we have set up as administrators eligible users. 

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

@RobertBorchert time to open up some new horizons and try out QGIS and PostGIS.

P.S. if you do have $100 / year to spare the personal license is a great deal. In that case QGIS and PostGIS are complementary not a replacement.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

If you don't have $100 a year to spend on a personal license then get off whatever your doing and get a job.

My horizons are very open thank you.

Brian_Wilson

You are very welcome!

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

@RobertBorchert I was not writing to you specifically, sorry if you thought that.

To the many other people reading this public forum, if you are on the fence about whether to get a personal license, it's probably worth the $100/year if you are using GIS on the desktop in your day job, even if you exclusively use QGIS in your day job. With the personal license, you get access to try out and learn about a phenomenal range of tools. But you can't use them for hire or consulting work, it's for learning only. 

I have access to Pro in my day job, but hardly touch it anymore because I am currently immersed in the Enterprise server world these days. That means I let my personal license lapse and spend the money on Raspberry Pi and servers and virtual private servers instead, and I experiment with open source tools. They also are amazing.  It gives me a broader reach than just working with one tool.

If you are a desktop GIS user in a day job, it's probably worth it to set up Pro at home.

It might or might not be worth it if you expect to do any consulting or work for hire because you can't legally use the personal license. If you are non-profit, the administrative fees are high. 

Another way around the cost of Pro if you are working extensively in consulting type work is to get the lowest level of the developer license, which gives you access to both Pro and Enterprise. When I did that it was $1800 for a year, and it was not really worth it for me. After I "retire" in a year or two I might reconsider doing that so that I can consult again, then it will pay for itself.

The version of Pro that comes in the developer version is the basic entry level one, so it's not as useful as the personal license, but as I said, it's good enough for me because mostly I work on the server side.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

The "personal" license comes with an online "organization" account with one user (you). You have to use that for ArcGIS Pro, even if you have a single use license ArcMap license, they are not interchangeable.

As far as I know there is no "single use" license at all for Pro, it's always authorized through a server. (The server can either be your own license server or Esri, but for the personal license it's always Esri.)

So for example when I bought my personal license I used the name brian1234 and so I have an "organization" URL from Esri of "brian1234.maps.esri.com" and I have to use that when I run ArcGIS Pro.

The process is very confusing especially if you already had some other Esri account (I have 3 now).

After struggling I phoned Esri support to get it all sorted out, I suggest everyone who does not get it on the first try to do the same thing. They were very helpful.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Brian - just an FYI - ArcGIS Pro does support single-use licensing and is a functional equivalency item from the ArcMap days.  In fact, ArcGIS Pro licensing also offers concurrent use licensing and Named User licensing via ArcGIS Online or the ArcGIS Enterprise Portal as well.  Now with regard to ArcGIS for Personal Use, it is using a Named User License via ArcGIS Online.  The ArcGIS for Personal use does offer installation support of which licensing of the product is supported and part of the $100 purchase price.

Sameh - I recommend contacting Esri Support Services to get the licensing issue resolved.