Any data limits in ArcGIS Pro?

01-31-2018 08:04 AM
CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

Is there a feature import limit for ArcGIS Pro?  For example, you can only import a maximum of 1000 features to ArcGIS Online, which I did not discover until I tried to add a data table with 1500 features in it.  Is there a limit like that for ArcGIS Pro?  I want to move my research from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro if I can.  Since my research involves large datasets, I would rather know upfront if this move is even feasible rather than start the process only to find out mid-transfer.  Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The limits imposed by AGOL are for totally different reasons.

PRO is the way to go and given it is native 64bit, your limitations will be your machine, not the software.

System requirements.... http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/get-started.htm

and there is a link that will allow you to test your machine to see how it will stack up 

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cory,

The 1,000 feature limit in ArcMap isn't really a limit, it's just a default setting. When you publish a feature service, you can change the value in the Service Editor. (I don't know if there's an upper limit or not.) Afterwards, there may be drawing constraints in ArcGIS Online--you may get a message popping up on your web map that not all the features can be drawn.

As far as I know, there isn't a limit or a default setting in Pro on the number of features that can be published.Melanie Summers might know.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tim... I suspect Cory is more interested in the research end than on the publishing end... unless I read his post totally wrong.

0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Online is able to handle more data than 1000 features - what's your exact workflow?

As for ArcGIS Pro, you can add and display very large datasets, these can be local (FGDB, shapefiles, EGDB, etc.) or web layers.

On the publishing side, Pro does not expose the max record count parameter when sharing to ArcGIS Online because the map viewer no longer depends on that setting to determine how many features to display.

Melanie

CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

Dan, you are correct - I am asking for my research, not publishing.  Some of my individual datasets with which I have been working in ArcMap have several thousand features each since my study area contains 5,700 sq. km.  I want to continue to work with and analyze these same datasets in ArcGIS Pro.  It sounds like I don't need to be concerned with any limits.  Thanks!  ArcGIS Pro, here I come!

Melanie, when I try to add a CSV to ArcGIS Online (AGO), if there are more than 1000 features in the CSV, AGO will only add 1000 after warning me of such.  I use AGO extensively in the classes I teach (geology, physical geography), and so the work-around I use with the students is to break large numbers of features into multiple CSV files.  For example, there are approximately 1500 active volcanoes in the world.  To get all of them into AGO, I've had the students break the full set into subsets based on volcano type.  Another example: when I ask the students to download recent earthquakes from the U.S.G.S. website, we can end up with HUGE datasets of 10,000 or more individual earthquakes for just part of one year.  So, I have students manipulate the data search again by earthquake magnitude, depth, etc., to get multiple CSVs with no more than 1000 features each.  Having multiple CSVs for the same features causes problems with symbology and analysis and increases the work load for acquisition of data and loading it into AGO.  If anyone has a work-around or solution, it would be awesome!

Cory

MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Cory,

It sounds like you're adding the CSV files through the map viewer where the 1000 feature limit exists. If you have an organizational account, hosted feature layers are what you'd want to work with instead. See this help topic on how to Publish hosted feature layers

Note that public accounts do not support hosted feature layers.

Melanie

CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

Hi Melanie,

Wow, thanks!  I'll check this out, and yes, as faculty, I have an organizational account through my university.

0 Kudos
CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

Thank you, Melanie, for letting me know that nice little "trick"!  I have successfully created 2 hosted feature layers, one with 9900 earthquakes and the other with 1433 volcanoes for my students to use.  Since I could find nothing like either (that included all the attached data), I have shared them with everyone so that others can use them. I also created and shared a hosted feature layer containing the points of highest elevation for each country in the world from Peakbagger.com.  Though it only has 193 features, I didn't find anything like it in ArcGIS or Living Atlas, so I put it out there.  My students will be using it today in class.  Thank you again!