Adjusting balloon dart/leader

12-29-2021 10:03 AM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Is there a way in Pro to adjust where a balloon text graphic's dart/leader hits the label? I can change where it points with ease, but I can't find a way to modify where the width of it hits the label.

rburkebsrc_0-1640800867689.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

If this is just a graphic in a layout, you should be able to move the callout around to make the leader adjust.  You may also need to change up some of the margins left , right, top, bottom, to make it look appropriate.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

The problem is the callout is where I want it and the margins are where I want them; I only need to change the stem.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you move the stem? The stem location will change when you move the callout box.  Try moving it closer to the point of the dart, then move left to right.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

No, you can move where the leader points and the callout, but it decides how to draw the stem. Seems to switch from a left side and a right side position based on proximity with no further options for adjustment. It looks like I'll need to pop it into Illustrator.

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, I saw that when I tested it.  I know that if you have a feature class and you create labels with callout balloons then convert the labels to annotation, there is a way to edit the annotation vertices and you can control the stem much easier.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Case in point.  See my video attached where I demo editing the annotation of a label layer that I set using callouts.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I agree, much easier with annotation, but still not as fine grained as it could be. Thanks for the help.

WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi @wayfaringrob 

at this point there isn't fine grained control over how the callout attaches to the label.  This would be something good to create a post for over in ArcGIS ideas.
Right now you can control the width of the dart and if it is fixed or not.

WendyHarrison_0-1640823935068.png