Select to view content in your preferred language

AddField changes values of other fields in ArcPro?

Jump to solution
04-01-2020 11:53 AM
JohnPrater
New Contributor

I've added a polygon shapefile. Opened the attribute table and added a text field called "name". After applying the changes in the "Fields" window all of my double type values in other fields become integers.... Anyone know how or why this is happening and how I can prevent or correct this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could be the shapefile. Use Copy features in the data management toolbox and save the shapefile to a featureclass in a geodatabase.

The 9525.7.... is weird

dump the shapefile  get it into a geodatabase first, you can always export back later

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It could be a display issue.  Can you confirm that the data type in the Fields view for the table has indeed change to short or long?  For the display, check the number of decimals to show if it is indeed a double/float

0 Kudos
JohnPrater
New Contributor

It appears unchanged in the "Fields" view. I'd add a screenshot but can't add attachment in comments?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to click on your main link and not respond in the 'mail' section... look for the camera, 2nd from the right on the toolbar when you respond

Here is an example of a Double field with 6 decimal rounding, but 0 decimals showing.

0 Kudos
JohnPrater
New Contributor

I tried a few different numbers for rounding and alignment and none of them worked. Still showing my double type values as integers. 

and I just noticed that when adding the new text field it inserted some random decimal number:

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could be the shapefile. Use Copy features in the data management toolbox and save the shapefile to a featureclass in a geodatabase.

The 9525.7.... is weird

dump the shapefile  get it into a geodatabase first, you can always export back later

0 Kudos