Select to view content in your preferred language

Accurately calculating acres with overlapping polygons

08-18-2023 04:49 PM
Labels (3)
MatthewSolberg
New Contributor

Below you can see I've applied a 25 foot buffer to my geospatial data. I'm trying to calculate the acres of noxious weeds treated within a given area. I have many overlapping polygons due to the buffer. The buffer models the plant's rhizomes extending beneath the soil, so its an important feature for my dataset. How can I accurately calculate acres treated with all my overlapping buffered polygons? Is there a tool I can apply to all my overlapping polygons at once? And how would I go about doing that? 

MatthewSolberg_0-1692401980820.png

Thank you for your time and support!

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tabulate Intersection (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

perhaps, if the source and buffers are separate featureclasses

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

That looks like a pretty sweet tool @DanPatterson linked.  It also reminds me of doing 1) Union 2) Add field(s) Acreage and Percentage 3) Calculate Geometry --> acreage 4) Field Calculator --> calculate percentage.

Tabulate Intersection appears to require an Advanced License.

Also, I am unclear - do you need to itemize per rhizome buffer as with Dan's response, or just a single acreage for the total area?  My interpretation of your question is that the buffers overlap, and that all you need is the total area of a dissolved buffer.  If that's the case, it's much easier.

0 Kudos
MatthewSolberg
New Contributor

Thanks for your responses!

Yes, if the buffer dissolved into a total area, that would meet my needs. A single acreage as you put it. 

When I create a dissolved buffer, many of my buffered polygons still overlap with other buffered polygons. Currently when I go to calculate my total acres, it is counting the overlapping space twice. I'm working to provide a total acres metric for a grant. I am open to ideas!

0 Kudos