Select to view content in your preferred language

When will ArcGIS Pro be able to import Civil3D Profiles and Sections?

01-24-2023 08:39 AM
Labels (1)
JackLau
New Contributor III

Hello,

ArcGIS Map was able to import Civil 3D profile and section view from CAD drawings or basically most features from a drawing.  Currently Pro only imports plan view features.

Will this be eventually be added?

Thanks

3 Comments
JeffreyReinhart

Hello,

The Good news is In ArcGIS Pro, we already support many AEC element defined in Civil 3D, but not the instances of them reflected on the views in Civil 3D (such as ‘Profile View and Section Views’).

In Civil 3D you create those views in the same viewport where your georeferenced model has been created, putting them on a side as a report that would potentially overlap any other element.

ArcGIS Pro reads the Civil 3D elements geometries and their attributes once. Any type of View from an instance of those element is skipped and not add it to the Map or scene, where they don’t belong.

ArcMap clarification:

About your question I can tell you that ArcMap doesn’t support any direct reading or importing of Autodesk Civil 3D entities (Alignments, GravityPipes, AlignmentProfiles, etc..). And to be able to incorporate them into ArcMap (only as geometry) you had to convert/explode them to basic AutoCAD entities (Lines, Polygon, Points, etc..).

When you say Civil 3D Profile and Section, I assume that you are referring to the ‘Profile View and Section Views’ that Civil 3D offers to visualize the Alignment Profiles in different ways.

Thanks,
Jeff

JackLau

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  You are correct, I was referring to Profile View and Section Views.

MichaelDavidsonPM

Hi @JackLau,

With the release of ArcGIS Pro 3.3 (May 2024), we added direct-read support for Corridors from Civil 3D. Now, you can view corridors holistically as 3D multipatch. Additional info is given in this blog, as well as this 1-min. video: https://mediaspace.esri.com/media/t/1_6v94ayx2 

Please let us know if this contributes to the Idea.