Select to view content in your preferred language

When creating a new field: Single-clicking away from Field Name should change focus

11-28-2022 01:06 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

When creating a new field in the Fields window:

Bud_0-1669669377651.png

After entering the field name, I often try to single-click away from the Field Name textbox, in order to change a different property, such as the Data Type. However, single-clicking in that scenario has no effect; the Field Name textbox still has focus/is editable.

As a new ArcGIS Pro user, I find that behavior unintuitive and frustrating. Could it be changed so that single-clicking does change the focus?

Thanks.

3 Comments
RoseF
by

I think this might be an oversight on Esri's part because, as you probably know, in ArcMap the single clicking away actually works.

For what it's worth, I've often found using the Tab key in tables is a good, fast way to navigate. I think if you Tab out of that cell, it will work. 

You might also try double clicking in a different cell. I don't have Pro open right now but a vaguely remember that I could double click in another cell and it would activate. 

Bud
by

Esri Canada Case 03282682 - When creating a new field: Single-clicking away from Field Name should change focus

ENH-000156385 ArcGIS Pro 3.1 - When adding a new field, allow users to move to a different property (Alias, Data Type, etc.) by single-clicking

SSWoodward

Thanks for the Idea @Bud

@RoseF is correct. In order to pull the focus to a new cell in the fields view when creating a new field, a user can either double-click the desired cell or hit the tab keyboard shortcut to move to the next cell in the row.  Single-clicking to move the focus is an improvement that is in the teams sights, but is not possible within the current data design views.