Spatial join without creating a new feature class

03-07-2012 12:57 PM
Labels (1)
JakeKrall
Occasional Contributor III

We used to be able to do a "spatial join without creating a new feature class" in AV 3.x.  This would be a most useful tool for everyday use it seems without creating useless feature classes that you have to go back and delete.

Esri, can't you bring this tool back from the archives for ArcGIS 10.1.x???

I would really like to see it added to the Toolbox!

34 Comments
MichaelWalden1

I came across this thread when searching for the tool I have used several times in the past.  It can update data based on spatial relationships as well as others.  There is some setup involved, but it will do the trick.

https://solutions.arcgis.com/shared/help/attribute-assistant/

JakeKrall

@KoryKramer Do you have anything to offer on this much needed tool?  Could have used this many times in the past couple of weeks.  It's only been 9 years since the original post! 🙄

HSMIIS
by

I too am working around this issue in analysis.SpatialJoin today. 

The ASSIGN DATA BY LOCATION tool sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Please (re)add.

NobbirAhmed

Hi SHMIIS, where can I find 'Assign Data By Location' tool?

MiguelMartinezYordan

When doing a Spatial Join, there is always de need to create a new layer. It will be very helpful and faster if we can do a Spatial Join in a temporary mode just to extract data and then eliminate de Join.

KoryKramer

For now you could run Spatial Join with output to memory table, then join the memory table back to the original target features.  Just offering as a working solution until this idea can be implemented (which may just do the same thing in the background...)

AZendel

YES, PLEASE!

JakeKrall

@KoryKramer  You think we will see this anytime soon?  I could sure use it today in data manipulation for property/parcel research coding values on the fly using spatially related layers!  Including this functionality in a Task or Model would be huge step forward for us.

JonathanNeal
Status changed to: In Product Plan

@JakeKrall Just finished this tool for the 3.0 release.

JakeKrall

@JonathanNeal   That's good news, thank you much!