Solid multipatches

05-27-2020 12:03 AM
Labels (1)
KennethLindhardt1
Occasional Contributor II

Especially for the purpose for underground visualization for complex geology, we would like to see solid multipatches instead of hollow boxes when we use any kind of slice tool in both ArcGIS Desktop and Online.

The hollow multipatches don't give the prober graphical outcome that we would like.

Thanks.

5 Comments
ChristianHaugwitz

This would also enable the profile tool to give much nicer results, when visualising geology.

KarlTian

I also have this question, actually it's somehow like the slice multipatch feature tool with Solid option that automatically generates missing faces while slicing.

KoryKramer

While not explicitly a solid multipatch, to meet this requirement (underground visualization for complex geology) ArcGIS Pro 2.6 (scheduled for release in July) will introduce voxel layers.  

This will allow for the type of visualization requested.  The next phase of development will be to share these across the ArcGIS platform to work in web scenes.

ChristianHaugwitz

While this looks very interesting and I look forward to testing it in July, I would fear that a voxel solution would be unecessarily heavy for a webviewer, instead of just filing the simple multipatch with a solid colour.

With these web visualisations of geology, the models are already getting a bit heavy for the browser.

NseaGIS

any updates? I would still like to see solid fill for multipatch features