Select to view content in your preferred language

Set Preferences for Locate Tool

07-16-2021 06:55 AM
Labels (1)
KellyKoenig
Regular Contributor

Currently, when you're using the "Layer Search" feature of the Locate tool, it defaults to "Match Exact."  I typically want to use the "Match any part" option because I am more likely to remember a fragment of a feature's name than the exact punctuation, capitalization, etc., but I often forget to change the default setting before searching and I get no results returned on my first try.

It would be great if you could change the default options in the preferences, or if Pro could remember your previous selection in the same local temp file that determines the layout of all of your windows/panes. 

Locate Tool - Layer Search optionsLocate Tool - Layer Search options

14 Comments
GISaaS
by

Maybe a toggle to 'remember' the last setting within the dialog would do the trick?

ras451
by

For our organization, we rely on the layer search and since we are moving end users to Pro, being able to default the settings of the locate tool to "Layer Search" and then default the layer before we set up their projects would be tremendously helpful. Being able to default the setting in the locate tool would help in commands for creating tasks as well. 

AmyRoust

I have a Pro project that I use exclusively to digitize zoning ordinances. Many times, the legal description references a plat, so I use the Locate tool > Layer Search to find the plat by name. Every time I open that project, I have to open the Locate tool, switch to Layer Search, and change the settings to Search in layer > Plat and change Match exact to Match any part. It would be nice if there were a way to save those settings to that project so that I didn't have to redo it every time.

ScottFedak2085

Couldn't you create a locator based on that layer and using a Parcel Role? A "Parcel Name" is the only required field to map for a Parcel Role and you could just map the Plat Name. You would want to manually or automate the re-build of this locator on occasion to ensure that the data is up-to-date date, but you could add more data / roles and tweak settings to make it more robust for you search purposes on this project. It would also provide the added benefit of being able to be easily moved between projects while providing a consistent user experience.