Save Project As, Creating more than just the APRX

07-22-2022 02:12 PM
Labels (1)
ErikBreedon
New Contributor III

There should be a way to save the whole project as a new project, creating more than just the aprx file, but also duplicating all other supplemental files.

6 Comments
SimonSchütte_ct

It is possible to save a Project Package (ppkx), but having an option in the "Save Project As" dialog would be nice:
SimonSchtte_ct_0-1658752749028.png(optional checkbox)

Instead of only saving the .aprx file under a new name, also clone the files from the current home directory to the new directory, where the APRX is saved to.

SimonSchtte_ct_1-1658752975517.png

Why is it useful?: If you have different versions of an APRX file, all referencing the same GDB, accidental changes to the data can happen. If you try out different Project configurations for example.

wayfaringrob

@SimonSchütte_ct  yes. It also takes AGES for a project to package.

DavidWheelock2

Seems like a no-brainer.  I've wanted this, too.

Though, you can just copy the whole ArcGIS Pro project folder using Windows File Explorer and that will do the same thing.

@KoryKramer, has this been suggested before? 

Is Windows File Explorer the recommended method for this?

ErikBreedon

Looking back months later, I've found this workflow accomplishes what I needed:
1. Save your favorite layout as a layout file.
2. Start a new project.
3. Import the layout file into the new project.
4. Save the new project.

HallvardSkrede

@ErikBreedon  is that only giving you the layout-file, or the entire project? 

I am trying to do this myself:

Create a copied project with no references to previous projects/file paths/databases, and then get all the features layers as unique features layers within the new database, maintaing symbology, queries etc.

Links to WMS etc. should also remain.

Share>project template does this partly, but you get a "lot of databases" within the new database instead of all layers gathered in one database. Moreover, absolutely all layers (that have been added in the map) that stems from a database within the company network is brought over in the new project template. These I would like to rather remain as links, as they are many GBs worth of data...

I.e. I only want the feature classes that are existing in the map database I was originally making the template from over in the new one, not all other "linked" databases too. I think it would be nice if we could differentiate which databases are brought over to the new project template and not, then my problem would be fixed, and for those who want to combine databases, their problem would be fixed too. 🙂

I am a fan of the ArcGIS-program (quite a newbie myself), so these are some features I hope to see in the feature (if they don't already exist). 🙂 

AlfredBaldenweck

PLEASE add this in.

All my users ask for templates so they don't have to recreate everything for each project. 

The PAGX workaround works ok but was a lot harder to explain than just using Save As, which is the default workflow for just about every other program, including ArcMap.

Project Templates (APTX) have a host of problems in their current implementation, and, frankly, a project package doesn't really fill the need of just being able to duplicate a whole project. (For one thing, the whole "unpack to the Packages folder instead of a place that's actually useful" thing is a massive tripping hazard).

Please let us just Save As to duplicate the entire project folder, not just the APRX.