Route tool for walking distance

03-09-2021 04:50 AM
Labels (1)
StephaneLefebvre
New Contributor III

The road tool with the ESRI Network in PRO is limited to 43.5km for walking distances with several points from id to id.

The tool takes into account my whole dataset even though my distances from id to id are less than 43.5. Because my dataset covers all of Quebec.

Tags (1)
8 Comments
MelindaMorang

Hello Stephane. Could you please provide further detail about the problem you're experiencing. In particular, what is "the road tool with the ESRI Network in PRO"?

MelindaMorang
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

StephaneLefebvre

Tool :  Network analysis (Arcgis PRO 2.7.1)

Analysis – Make Route Analysis Layer

I have a point feature class with several walking distances to calculate. Example I have two points in Gaspésie which forms one route, and two points in Montreal which forms another route. The tool takes all of the routes into consideration before calculating individual route so it does not calculate anything and warns me that the 43.5 km limit has been exceeded. No route exceed 20km.

I opened a post about it and was told it is a limitation of the software. I have a database with over 3000 routes to calculate for all of Quebec.

MelindaMorang

Okay, I think I'm starting to understand the issue you're describing. Are you using the ArcGIS Online services as the network data source for your Route layer?

StephaneLefebvre

yes

MelindaMorang
Status changed to: Open

Okay, I understand the problem.  I don't know that there is a good way for us to fix this since, until we actually solve the network analysis problem, there is no way for us to know that the distances between each pair are less than the cutoff distance.

I think for now to solve this problem, you need to chunk up your data into small geographic areas and solve it (like do it separately for each city). Alternatively you could create or purchase a network dataset so you can solve it using local data.

MelindaMorang
Status changed to: Under Consideration

MelindaMorang
Status changed to: Implemented

This was implemented as part of ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and 10.9.1 Enterprise, and the 9.4  release of the ArcGIS Online services in December 2021. With this enhancement, straight-line distance checks for multiroute inputs are done per route instead of for the entire stops dataset.