Select to view content in your preferred language

Remember last positioned window locations and size in ArcGIS Pro.

03-31-2021 09:13 AM
Labels (1)
SterlingLoetz
New Contributor III

It would be great if Pro remembered window placement and size according to the last position/size configured. For example, when I open the Options menu in the Pro project, the window always reverts to a default size and location. I have to then resize or position the window every time to my liking. This is frustrating enough with the Options window but even more frustrating with windows such as the Editor Settings window where I go back and forth to configure the Field Mapping setting. I have to adjust the position and resize every single time I open this window to see the entire field list and or expression.

I know there is currently functionality in Pro to remember attribute table location and configuration but a simple setting to allow this functionality with all windows/panes would go a long way.

Tags (2)
35 Comments
Marie_Ducharme

OMG! Yes, great Idea. I spend a lot of time moving GUIs around, and making them bigger (longer) over and over and over.....it's a bit crazy-making. The one I tweak the most is the calculate filed GUI. It's too short, and the user cannot see the box in which the user can enter a value!

Marie_Ducharme_0-1652467942539.png

wayfaringrob

@Marie_Ducharme  in the meantime, you might want to look into the FancyZones feature of Microsoft PowerToys. It enables you to design different snapping 'zones' that you can hold shift while dragging a window and drop them into a pre-defined little square with a set size and set location very easily. I use it for organizing multiple windows at the same time, and keep a narrow zone on my second monitor for things like panes. You can set up multiple patterns and set up number keys that you can use while holding shift to shuffle between them.

So - it's not a solution to the request, as it would be much easier if the windows just stayed where they were, but in your case - you might set up a zone that will allow you to work comfortably with field calc. There's some overhead in setting it up, but there are lots of little switches and toggles to get things working as you'd like.

Marie_Ducharme

@wayfaringrob ! Thanks so much. I love little tricks like this! Cant wait to try it!

RonaldHuettner

This is a new bug/feature for me. On our old Windows 7 system Pro would save dialog window position and size just fine. On my home Windows 10 Desktop everything also worked fine.

But now we are moving to AWS (Windows 19 Server, I think?) and the dialog windows no longer save position and size.

GabrielMarcus1

@wayfaringrob 

Thanks for the suggestion of FancyZones in MS PowerToys. It seems to work better than NVidia's desktop manager, because FZ handles child windows. This has taken SOME of the pain away in constant resizing! I wouldn't have encountered this had you not suggested it. 

I haven't seen any previews for 3.0 but I'm looking forward to it as I have some bug requests that are allegedly being fixed in this release!

MattEmmerson

Apologies if this has been raised before, I did run a few searches and I'm also using ArcGIS Pro v2.8.2 so this may have been implemented in a more recent version.

It would be beneficial if the Layer Properties dialog box maintained its size and position when modified, Similar to how Windows File Explorer remembers last position and size of the window you're opening again.

Thanks all

Default - unable to see URL in full

MattEmmerson_0-1659061642722.png

Modified to see more details / make use of large/multiple displays

MattEmmerson_1-1659061686873.png

wayfaringrob

@MattEmmerson  came here to make the case for the layer properties box specifically for that exact same reason - it's already a cumbersome journey to get to the source link; if the box could just stay where I put it, that would take out one point of frustration. You can maximize fairly easily, but it's still another click, and you lose the context of the application behind it.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Wha' what?!

Wait till 3.1...

StickyPages.gif

SterlingLoetz

Awesome! Thanks @KoryKramer 

wayfaringrob

Woohooooo!