Select to view content in your preferred language

Register mobile and file GDB views with geodatabase using Catalog right-click menu

04-04-2023 12:32 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

Regarding a conversation with support (Case #03294892, BUG-000156931):

You must register the view with the [mobile] geodatabase for selections to work. Use the GP Register with Geodatabase tool to register the view.

That works as expected: I can register a view with the mobile geodatabase using the Register with Geodatabase GP tool.

However, I noticed that the equivalent action isn't available from the right-click menu of the DB view in the Catalog pane:

Bud_0-1680635787738.png

(The same applies to file geodatabases; there is no right-click menu option in the Catalog view to register a view with the file geodatabase. With that said, I don't know if registering is necessary for FGDB views or not.)

Whereas, with enterprise geodatabases, there is a right-click menu option in the Catalog pane for registering with the GDB:

Bud_1-1680636227705.png
ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8 Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB

Idea:

Could functionality be added to the Catalog right-click menu for registering mobile GDB views with the geodatabase? (and possibly FGDB views too?)

That would be consistent with enterprise geodatabases and be more intuitive for users.

Food for thought:

This idea might also apply to tables that are created in the mobile GDB using a SQL client, instead of using ArcGIS Pro. Such tables wouldn't be registered with the mobile GDB either.

1 Comment
Bud
by

It really is confusing that Regsiter with Geodatabase isn't available from the context menu in Catalog for mobile and file geodatabases.

Since that context menu item is missing, I imagine a lot of people aren't aware that mobile and file geodatabase views can be registered with the geodatabase (and I assume non-GDB tables in mobile geodatabases can be registered too). How else would we determine if those items are registered with the geodatabase?

Related: Catalog Item Properties — Indicate if item is registered with geodatabase