Select to view content in your preferred language

Re-energise trace needed

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
Jens_Dalsgaard
Occasional Contributor

In an electric grid having a section of the grid de-energized due to open switching devices between it and one or more subnetwork controllers I need Utility Network to offer a trace telling me potential switching devices to close in order to re-energise this section.

At Esri UC 2024 I discussed this with David Crawford and he suggested an approach that could bring me some of the way, yet may output false positives.

Let me explain.

1. I place a trace starting somewhere in the de-energised section and initiate a Connected trace.

2. This connected trace is configured with Condition Barrier Operating Status Normal equals Open
    Jens_Dalsgaard_0-1721264308967.png

This will make the connected trace stop at open switching devices.

3. and with Output Condition also set to Operating Status Normal equals Open
    Jens_Dalsgaard_1-1721264350479.png

This will make the connected trace only return these open switching devices.

4. And it does return open switching reachable from the trace starting point placed within the de-energised section of the grid. So far so good.

5. Yet, in case of loops within the de-energized section or open switching devices to a customer currently disconnected the trace result will include open breaker not allowing in-feed. False positives.
  6. You guys, Esri, have the entire graph model in the background and I assume it's feasible for you guys to offer a trace capability / configuration returning only the open breakers which upon closing would in fact re-energise the section in question without including false positives.

Looking forward to your answer and fix.

Love how at Esri UC you can go to the expo, find the right booth and always find the knowledgeable person answering your questions ❤️

Best regards

Jens Dalsgaard

Volue