Option to center a symbolization scheme around zero

09-14-2022 07:58 AM
Labels (1)
AmberMillison
New Contributor III

In the Graduated Colors symbology type, there are several color schemes that range between two colors, with the center of the color ramp being white (for example, the Red-Blue set of color schemes ranges from red to blue, with white in the center). This type of color scheme is really useful when displaying a range of values that include both positive and negative numbers, because the pure white color can be set to a value of zero while the red shades can represent numbers below zero (-) and blue can represent numbers above zero (+) (or vice versa). I typically have to manually go in and change these class breaks so that the red/blue shades have equal intervals in the positive vs. negative direction. This way, colors can directly be interpreted and compared on the map in terms of there absolute value and sign. ArcGIS Pro does not offer an option to automatically set the center of a color ramp to zero and equally distribute values into classes on either side, however I think this would be helpful for quick visualizations of variables that range from positive to negative. In my case, I am specifically looking at changes in precipitation which naturally may be positive or negative, but this type of color scheme could be useful for a variety of purposes.

4 Comments
CraigWilliams
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Have you explored setting 0 as the critical break? See description of critical breaks in this topic: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/graduated-colors.htm

AmberMillison

@Craig Awesome, thanks for your reply! I never knew this was possible and I'll try play around with it now. Do you know if it works best if I set the white class to a value of zero first, then set this class as the critical value?

CraigWilliams

Do you know if it works best if I set the white class to a value of zero first, then set this class as the critical value?

Generally classify first, set the critical break, and then apply symbology.

CraigWilliams
Status changed to: Already Offered