Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Series - Setting a Minimum and Maximum Scale

Monday
Labels (1)
Todd_Stout
New Contributor

A feature that I would really like to see implemented in ArcGIS Pro is the ability to set a minimum and a maximum scale for a Map Series.

A Map Series that I created uses an index feature class where the polygons vary in size considerably. Most of the maps that are generated are fine but there are several exceptions. Some end up with a map extent that is zoomed in so close that the labeling and symbology just do not look right.

I would mainly like to see the ability to set a minimum scale like say… don’t zoom in any closer than 1:2500 or 1:5000 or whatever the case might be but also being able to set a maximum scale might be of use as well. Perhaps this could be implemented similar to the Visibility Range dropdowns that we already have for Feature Layers and Labeling.

I would like to see it here:
image.png

Maybe it could look like this:
image.png

Tags (2)
3 Comments
AlfredBaldenweck

Related Post : Minimum scale in Map Series - Esri Community

Related Idea: Map Series Minimum Extent - Esri Community

TLDR: Please add a minimum scale in to Spatial Map series. 

So I'm trying to make a map series and because of concerns about data sensitivity, must publish the maps at a minimum scale of 1:250,000, although their natural scale using a buffer of 10% and rounding to the nearest 10,000 ranges between 1:130,000 and 1:600,000.

Where I'm running into trouble is making sure it actually gives me both the minimum scale AND the 10% margin.

Using the method that @AubriKinghorn suggested in the first linked post (round to X), I'm having trouble with it rounding down to remove that margin.

For example, this page, using the default of 10% and rounding to the nearest 10,000, should be 1:270K.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1720802222532.png

However, rounding to the nearest 250K pops it down to 1:250,000 and overwrites the margin.

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1720802315869.png

I know that in the 3.2 release, the behavior was changed to only round up (see first linked post above), but I don't think that actually solves the issue that I'm having here, which is: I really don't care what scale it is, so long as it's at least 1:250,000.

Is it 1:270,000? Great.

1:580,000? Amazing.

1: 240,000? No. Bad.

And that's really as far as I want to think about this. Like, let me set my margin and my rounding, and also set a minimum scale, and as long as it's bigger than that and rounds to the nearest 10K like I asked it to, we're golden.

AlfredBaldenweck

Good Idea. Very similar to this one here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/spatial-map-series-set-minimum-scale/idi-p/1504904/ju...

@KoryKramer  Could they be merged? This one is more expansive than the original, so I think it'd make sense for this one to be the primary.

KoryKramer

Hi @AlfredBaldenweck Yes, I merged them. There weren't any kudos on yours - you should add kudos to this idea!