Select to view content in your preferred language

Make PDF exported from ArcGIS Pro smaller file size like ArcMap

04-29-2021 10:41 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/exporting-to-pdf-from-arcgis-pro-is-producing-lar...

PDF file sizes exported from ArcGIS Pro are HUGE compared to ArcMap. There is no need for this. I understand why https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000022153 and this is solving a problem that we didn't have. 

The PDFs exported from ArcMap were just fine, printed great. We have remote workers that can't even OPEN a pdf on VPN that was exported at 300 dpi from ArcGIS Pro.

I know the work arounds too. Buy Adobe - save as reduced file size. Use Adobe print to PDF. This should be solved in ArcGIS Pro!

Thanks.

12 Comments
Matt-Goodman

I'd just like to take a moment (while Adobe continues to try to open my exported map) to add my voice to this frustration. ArcMap worked so nicely, we didn't even know how good we had it. I have been trying various configurations over the course of the last two days, to try to export a big map book (99 pages at 11" x 17", with a lot of layers).

My initial export attempt resulted in a 3,558,818 KB file (yes, that's 3.55 GB).

There are too many layers to practically make 'generalized' copies of them. Most of my PDF outputs have been so big that Adobe cannot open them...occasionally I get an error from Adobe about 'damaged file'...'being repaired' but it just hangs until I have to use Windows to 'End Task'. 

My current strategy is to export my map pages in 20-page chunks, then try to reduce the file size and combine them all in Adobe at the the end...not my ideal work-around. 

DavidMurray_ODWC

@anonymous User

Thank you for posting the Helpful Settings.  I was attempting to export a single large layout that included satellite imagery for a colleague, but my own option selection was resulting in ...oddities (blurriness and ever-expanding file sizes).  The settings you provided resulted in the smallest file size I'd seen all day, without any 'value-added blurriness.'

Slainte mhath! 🦆