Select to view content in your preferred language

Length-based event layer: Linear referencing event layer that plots events along lines using the cumulative length of the line, not M-values

03-20-2023 10:23 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

(edited for clarity)

It would help if there were an Event Layer type in ArcGIS Pro that is the following:
Length-based event layer: A linear referencing event layer that plots events along lines using the cumulative length of the line, not M-values.

Reason: Our M-values are always just set to the cumulative length of the line anyway. Never a different value. So we don’t need M-values.
Right now, every time I edit the geometry of a line, I need to redefine/re-populate the M-values so that they're set to the cumulative length of the line. That's redundant, error-prone, and a poor use of time.

11 Comments
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

Thanks for tagging me too.

I like the idea and have given kudos to it.  My current site has not implemented Events and so I cannot use it at the moment.  However, in the past I've had requirements where it would have been useful.  Working around the absence of length-based event layers is possible using route event layers like you're doing, but it would be much easier if M-enabling became unnecessary for events in some situations.