Layers to Legend Items on/off default correlation

02-12-2023 01:02 PM
Labels (1)
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

The on/off (visible or not) status for Layers on the Map does NOT correlate -- by DEFAULT -- to the on/off (visible or not) status of the Legend Items in the Layout.

In other words, ALL Legend Items in the Layout Contents are tuned ON by default (see below); regardless of whether they are turned ON or not in the Map Contents (whether you like it or not;). 

This doesn't seem intuitive and can be confusing -- at least, initially.

So, my recommendation is to the have these correlated by default.
Then, the User can make changes, if necessary, from that starting point.

Map Layer visibility vs Layout Legend checkmarks.png

Tags (2)
11 Comments
AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Already Offered

This is available with legend styles introduced in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. With legend styles you can save the visibility checkbox in whatever state you'd like and then use the style to start your legend each time. 

Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks, but you would have to indicate where this is done in the Map, not the Layout.

By the time you switch to create the Layout, it's too late -- because I'm referring to the "default" behavior between the Map on/off status and the Layout on/off status.

AubriKinghorn

I'm not sure what you mean. The default behavior is determined when you add the legend to a layout, you can't set any of this in the map. 

Craig_Eissler_Iceman

If you go back and forth a few times, you can ultimately get this result

Craig_Eissler_Iceman_0-1676308440235.png

AubriKinghorn

Ok, I see what you mean. In that case there might be a bug in the software, which would need to be logged with tech support so it can get to the proper development team for evaluation and fixing.

Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Are you going to do this -- log it with Tech Support? I would think you have you're own internal methods for these scenarios, right?

AubriKinghorn

I went through and reread all of this and talked it through with some colleagues. I think I made a mistake in closing this. Rereading, I think your initial idea is that if a layer is unchecked in your map, it should be unchecked as a legend item in your legend. Is that correct?

The way it currently works is those items are left checked in the legend but don't draw if the Layer visibility option is checked on your legend properties. That's the option you can save in the style I was mentioning earlier. 

AubriKinghorn_0-1676406605820.png

So functionally, the legend draws the same initially whether or not the items are checked in the legend, as long as Layer visibility is checked. The difference with the checkmarks on the legend item is that if a layer is turned on in the map but the item is checked off in the legend the item it won't draw. By unchecking it in the legend you've removed it from drawing at any point. 

If I'm understanding correctly your idea is to uncheck legend items for layers that are unchecked by default, resulting is this different behavior if the layer is later turned on. 

If that's right, that is a valid idea, there isn't a bug, and this idea should not have been closed. My apologies. I'll reopen now.

Can you confirm my understanding is correct, or provide more information about your idea?  

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Open

Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks, yes, I believe you've got it now!

...Essentially, it seems weird and somewhat confusing when at any point (default or later; but especially the former) the Layout  > Legend Items are ON, and the Map > Layer is OFF (like in the screenshot above).

So I would suggest the behavior to be that:

1) ALL Layout > Legend Items be turned OFF by default, and

2) ALL Map > Layers that are turned OFF, are "grayed-out" as Layout > Legend Items

AubriKinghorn

Thanks for the clarification! I'm so sorry for misunderstand and the confusion!! I appreciate all your help in setting things straight.