07-08-2022 08:36 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

There seem to be three different wordings for converting XY data to points:

1. Right click layer in TOC --> "Display XY Data"

Bud_0-1657293569312.png

• I find that wording to be misleading. The word "display" makes it sound like we're creating a dynamic event layer, which isn't the case. It creates a new feature class.
  • I know the info in the mouseover explains it a bit further. But I honestly don't usually think to hover/wait/read the mouseover text. Could the "Display XY Data" wording be improved?

2. Ribbon --> Map tab --> "XY Point Data":

Bud_1-1657293748897.png

• The wording in the subscript is misleading. We're not simply "Adding x,y point data to the map". We're creating a feature class. 

3. Ribbon --> Analysis --> Tools --> Search for "XY" --> "XY Table to Point" GP tool.

Bud_2-1657293861843.png

Bud_3-1657293877181.png

• This tool is pretty straightforward. It creates a new feature class, which is clearly stated in the tool description. And is obvious because we need to fill in the "Output Feature Class" parameter.

Note:
The three options above are not to be confused with the "Make XY Event Layer" GP tool, which creates a dynamic event layer, not a feature class.

Bud_4-1657294402148.png

Idea:

If I understand correctly, all three options use the same underlying GP tool: "XY Table to Point".

Bud_3-1657293877181.png

If all three options do the same thing, then why not use consistent wording, to avoid confusion from the user? And why not make it crystal clear that all three options create a new FC?

Feel free to let me know if I've misunderstood something.

Cheers.

7 Comments
Bud
by

Merged from a separate idea.

Regarding Event Layer functionality in Pro:

1. XY Event Layers
  2. Route Event Layers (linear referencing)

(Not to be confused with GP tools that output a static FC, such as the "XY Table to Point" GP tool.)

Could those layer types be added to context-menus in Pro?

• Right-clicking a layer in the TOC
  • The Add Data button/picklist in the Map tab in the ribbon

That would be more convenient than having to go looking for the event layer GP tools.

Related: Why has Event Layer functionality been removed from context menus?

DavidSolari

This exact thing caught me by surprise when I switched over to Pro, I think a quick pass through the localization files is well worth avoiding confusion from ArcMap converts.

Bud
by

@DavidSolari Thanks. What do you mean by localization files?

by Anonymous User

Strongly agree with this idea. Adding data is confusing in Pro.

The "Add Data" button is under the Map ribbon. But there's also an "Insert" ribbon. Still gets me.

Bud
by

@Anonymous User 

The "Add Data" button is under the Map ribbon. But there's also an "Insert" ribbon. Still gets me.

Same here. 

DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

@Bud Your two ideas about Display XY Data and XY Event Layers have been combined, and both are in the product release plan for ArcGIS Pro 3.2. 

The context menus and ribbon for standalone tables has been configured with a Create Points From Table menu with the options to make a points feature class from the table XY coordinates (XY Table To Point) and to make an xy event layer (Make XY Event Layer). We think this will clarify the actions, and also bring xy event layers back in an accessible location.

Your comment also mentioned Route Event layers, which have been on the table context menu all along under Display Route Events. 

Pro 3.2 (in development) sneak peak:

DrewFlater_0-1692171705266.png

There is no plan for adjusting the Add Data menu in Pro 3.2, so changes to those options are not included, though the Pro mapping authoring development team is considering a redesign of that menu and available options in a future release. 

MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.
The Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video have been posted to the Esri Community blog. You can take a look at these to see your idea and all others that were implemented in this release of ArcGIS Pro.