Select to view content in your preferred language

In the Versioning ribbon, under Map View, alter the label for "Change Version" to "Switch Versions"

10-21-2022 12:24 PM
Labels (1)
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

While the term by itself "Change Version" makes perfect sense, in the context of the ribbon I feel it should be renamed to "Switch Versions". Here's why.

When I'm looking for either "Change Version" or "Version Changes" tools, my brain has to pause and make sure I understand what I'm reading. Maybe I'm alone on this, but in UI/UX any similar sounding phrases, especially when the words in the phrase are almost identical, but reversed, it can cause users to hesitate or choose the wrong option. It's not perplexing, it's just... a mild irritation?

Change Version Changes (huh? wait...)Change Version Changes (huh? wait...)

What I believe would help make these two tools distinctive immediately would be to alter the name of the "Change Version" tool to "Switch Versions", like so:

Ahhh, much better!Ahhh, much better!

See how much easier it is to immediate see the difference between the two tools now? They now only share one similar word "Version(s)", but even the plurality is different now which has a distinctive impact. "Changes/Switch" in this context disambiguate the intent of the tools without even reading the other words, but "Version/Versions" also expand on that. Together, "Version Changes" vs. "Switch Versions" is much faster to process (and less irritating) than "Version Changes" vs. "Change Version".

It's a minor change to the code (the label really) with a big benefit to the user.