Improve Pro Join Performance

02-18-2019 08:48 AM
Labels (1)
Tim_Ultee
New Contributor III

I've been working on migrating our workflows from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro over the last year, and one consistent annoyance is the performance of the join tools in Pro. Joining csv files, tables, and feature classes to each other in ArcMap has always been a cinch and usually takes no more than 10 seconds. In Pro however, both the join and remove join(s) tools run multiple times slower than in ArcMap and often freeze the software as well.

I've experienced these issue from Pro 1.4 through 2.2.3 without seeing any improvement. In what is supposed to be newer software with improved performance, I don't understand why this straight-forward and essential task is such a hindrance.

15 Comments
LarryMcEvoy

With SQL Server 2016 as a back end cross database joins are an absolute night mare speed is so slow in comparison to arc map 10.6. 20,000 geometry records joined to a view with cross database elements taking nearly 6x as long as arcmap, never mind the fact that i can run the same spatial query in SSMS and get a return in seconds. Yes there are workarounds of creating a table etc, but this is simple database stuff surely ESRI realize that customers need to interact with large custom built databases and want to be able to not have to duplicate data on a constant basis.  Speed does improve when using a query layer but it seems to be a lottery on which polygon you will get the attributes from when clicking for a pop up.

Tim_Ultee

I sent a project package to Kory on 4/23/2019 and Esri confirmed that they saw the join performance problem. Kory said he'd share it with the development team but I haven't heard anything about this issue since then.

esrizarei

100% agree and on your side. every time I need to remove my joins as soon as I hit remove I can go for a coffee break and come back and still ArcGIS pro is struggling to remove the join. I used to do the same simple task in ArcMap in a blink of an eye. unfortunately our organization is pushing us to migrate to pro before even ESRI make necessary improvements in its top of the line software. I am getting calls from project manager why I have charged so much for this and that. I have to explain our software is not as fast as before. they cannot charge our wasted time to our clients though, that means my chargeable time will be ride off.

and to the ESRI guy who is asking for some example data. you don't need to wait you can try it yourself. just add a feature later and try to join and remove it later both in ArcMap and ArcGIS pro and you see what we are talking about.

Honestly I thought I am the only one is suffering and now I noticed I am not alone,

by the way this poor performance does not stop here, it is everywhere all over ArcGIS pro, everything and anything take more time to accomplish. Even a simple act of selecting a layer takes more time!!

wow!!!

this issue still exists in pro 3.2

ErickFox

Experiencing this as well--removing joins takes forever. Currently sitting on a 30-minute (and counting) batch remove join process. It is crazy that we are still dealing with this issue and many other Pro performance issues 5 years and however many releases of Pro later from the original comment. Very frustrated right now.