Select to view content in your preferred language

Idea: Add groupings in styles based on categories

10-25-2023 12:02 PM
Labels (1)
leahmaps
Occasional Contributor II

Hello!

I am currently making a custom style and noticed something that could be of good use.

When you add a new style, you can place a category.

leahmaps_0-1698259303042.png

Right now, the only way I see categories showing up is when you hover over the polygon, and useable in the search bar

leahmaps_1-1698259401158.png

It would be great if, in the symbology pane, your categories would help break down the symbology styles into subheadings. Here is a (very poorly made) sample of how this could look. By adding a second indent with a collapsable arrow, it would be very easy to organize and have a few custom styles.

leahmaps_2-1698260410357.png

I find this particularly desired because it would make it easy to make a style with many symbols easy to search for without the bar. This way, if I need something for a certain division, I can simply find that drop-down and see my choices!

Thank you for considering!

Tags (1)
2 Comments
MErikReedAugusta

I feel like something very like this existed back in the ArcGIS Desktop days, and it surprises me that it doesn't seem to (or is hiding someplace) in the allegedly more-advanced ArcGIS Pro.

leahmaps

@MErikReedAugusta I felt like I had seen it before somewhere, too. The strange thing is that filling out the category and tags are essentially for the same thing - which is search. I would think that category would group them in the symbology pane to make things easier to find, and tags would be for searching.