I3S/SLPK Enhancement Tool

01-10-2019 07:01 PM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Would be great to to adjust or enhance I3S file (and/or Scene Layer Package) quality within the ESRI environment for better performance in the ESRI environment. This could be a separate utility/optimizer or a new tool in an ArcGIS Toolbox. A few things to consider would be:

• Say you were given an integrated mesh of a city in I3S format. The texture quality and geometry may be too detailed and you need to decrease quality. If there was a tool in the toolbox that could allow for modifying texture and geometry quality as well as clipping extent would be ideal to allow for more control within the ESRI platform.
  • A few programs that produce integrated meshes are ContextCapture and Pix4D but to my understanding neither allow for texture compression in I3S format. If the GIS user could somehow enhance the meshes in I3S format to control texture compression this would definitely improve Desktop and Web viewing quality.
  • Currently any organisation can receive aerial/satellite imagery from a provider and modify/optimise as they so choose but why not with integrated meshes as well?
  • Other reality modelling exports seem to be getting more attention than ESRI i3S/SLPK. This may be the opportunity for ESRI to stay ahead in the 3D visualisation space and be one of the premiere platforms to view this data. 

Overall, integrated meshes and large 3D datasets will become more common in the ESRI environment and allowing for GIS Administrators to adjust and enhance for the ESRI environment will be key. 

3 Comments
ChristopherBrown8

Am voting this up.
We are one of those Enterprise sites that use integrated 3D mesh sourced both from vendor provided "aero3Dpro" capture to models output using Pix4D captured with rotary drone (DJI M200).

Even though we have latest ArcGIS Enterprise and Portal for ArcGIS v10.6.1, ArcGIS Pro v2.3 I am unable to provide internal clients (Mech. Engineers) with smaller clipped extracts of the large textured model.

Currently we get the vendor to deliver Skyline TerraExplorer Pro Project kit and use the free TePro install on client machines and (again) vendor provided Bentley Context Capture model and publish using Acute3D to the intranet.

The vendor has provided I3S/SLPK format but I cannot "Enhance" using AGP?

cdickerson

Working with SLPK, there is no way to trim additional areas capture beyond the point of interest. Additional functionalities should be explored to be able to clip SLPK layers, so users can assemble larger project form smaller processed flights.

see: https://community.esri.com/thread/238695-clipping-slpk-mesh  

Andrew--Johnson
Status changed to: In Product Plan