Select to view content in your preferred language

I would love to symbolize points by time scale (Graduated Colors)

06-30-2023 01:50 PM
Labels (1)
Lyle-GIS-Analyst
New Contributor II

Just as the title suggests, I would love to be able to use the graduated color symbology feature on time fields on points, lines, or even polygons

3 Comments
TanuHoque
Status changed to: Under Consideration

TanuHoque

@Lyle-GIS-Analyst 

hi, could you add some of your use cases or workflows where you'd need this option? thanks a lot

Lyle-GIS-Analyst

@TanuHoque 
Let's say that I have a point shapefile with 100,000 points across a state. In the attributes of these points is a date field for when an event has occurred. I would love to see an ability to select the date field for Graduated Colors or even Unclassed Colors to be able to select a date field (or any temporal sort of field) to have a color gradient from one date to another. So I could have most recent events be a very vibrant blue, and older events be a much lighter blue, maybe with more transparancy, etc.

My use cases would be to see the most recent JULIE/811 locate calls in a more vibrant fashion than older ones for market research, to see the hotspots of where some are being called in now similar to how some other tools can, except with our own ability to click on the point and see which ticket it was. The data I look at spans years, so seeing where some calls used to be is still useful, as opposed to just querying out data.

As it stands right now the only way to properly perform this sort of task is to convert the dates into some kind of integer format and then symbolize based off of that, and I find it inconvenient to do so most of the time. A different way would be to literally copy the temporal layer and query each one for different date ranges to get a graduated colors effect. These are not as convenient as I believe they could be.

In general I think it would help a lot in looking at temporal data in a static map, at least to have as an option. My mind goes to the User Conference recently where they showed a map of crime reports happening on a dashboard, and how those points could be faded out but not invisible the further back in time they were, or a different color.