Select to view content in your preferred language

Have the same symbology across ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS online.

02-19-2019 11:48 AM
Labels (1)
KevinChristy1
Regular Contributor

So I figured that if there was some consistency between the symbology you find across all the Esri platforms, it would would help streamline some processes and shouldn't be too difficult to pull off. For example, one of the Crime Analysts where I work was trying to perform some analysis in ArcGIS Pro instead of Portal due to some issues in Portal. However, when it came time to create and share her map, the symbology she used for a certain feature;

only exists on Portal for ArcGIS or AGOL (minus a convoluted workaround). I searched for the AGOL symbology to import into Pro to no avail. Let make a style file (stylx) of these!

12 Comments
MarcoBoeringa

Note: I am not working for ESRI

Full compatibility may be some time away, but there are some positive developments. There have been recent blog posts from ESRI regarding vector symbols in webservices and efforts for incorporating the full CIM (Cartographic Information Model) in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript, which means that the full potential of cartographic display in ArcGIS Pro, may become available in (vector symbology based) webservices as well.

Since ArcGIS Pro can import almost all symbology from ArcMap, I guess this might mean that at some point in the future, you will be able to even have legacy ArcMap TTF fonts symbology fully displayable across the board.

Use Published 2D Symbols in ArcGIS Online 

What’s New in ArcGIS API for JavaScript (October 2020) 

Create points, lines, and polygons using CIMSymbols 

TaupoDistrict_Council

Has this changed with the latest updates?

I've been trying to follow those instructions while signed into Pro for both Portal and AGOL, however my searches are returning nothing.