Select to view content in your preferred language

Have Layout Legends recognize Group Layers as their own entity

07-13-2023 09:24 AM
Labels (1)
BrandonMcAlister
Occasional Contributor

I have been using map series quite frequently lately and the dynamic legend function works great for map series. However some maps within my series have a large number of feature layers visible within the extent and generates a large legend. See below.

Legend Issue.PNG

Currently the legend elements have certain parameters that can be set that allow feature layers with multiple symbology types to kept within the same column. See below.

Legend_element.PNG

This function works great and doesn't allow certain elements to be split between two columns. This doesn't work for multiple feature layers housed within a group layer. Even when all features under the group layer have the keep in single column box checked. Specifically look at water infrastructure below.

Legend Issue.PNG

 Everything under water infrastructure is a separate feature layer, it would be ideal if the Legend would recognize Group Layers as their own entity and allow the same customization that we have for individual feature layers. 

This functionality would allow a more cohesive experience when creating map series and preventing multiple layouts and map series from being created with manual columns. I have tried using Manual Columns but it ends up with me having to individually customize the legend for a number of maps within the series as one column has a ton of blank space in it, while the second column is over flowing. 

Tags (2)