Select to view content in your preferred language

GP tool to move feature classes in and out of feature datasets

05-30-2024 08:34 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

It would help to have a geoprocessing tool that could move a feature class in and out of a feature dataset. The tool would be used in Model Builder.

I'm aware that I can manually drag and drop FCs into FDs in the Catalog pane. But it would be helpful to have a GP tool for use in a model as well.

4 Comments
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea @Bud ,

What is the workflow here?  Is there a shortcoming of the copy tool that is keeping you from being able to achieve your desired result?

Bud
by

@SSWoodward 

Workflow:
I have a model that takes a downloaded government FGDB and processes it on a schedule. I want to move FCs out of the FD so that I can group FCs and standalone tables together via common prefixes in the table names in Catalog (FDs don't support tables). I don't want to export the FC because there are dependencies. I don't want to do it manually by dragging/dropping; I want it to be part of an automatic process in a model.

Also, if there are FCs that don't need to be grouped with tables via prefixes, but aren't in the FD yet, then I want to move the FCs to the FD via the model as well.

Thanks.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Open

DuncanHornby

To compliment @Bud 's idea. If a network is in a FeatureDataset and you have a BASIC license level I think you can't modify the schema. So first thing I do is drag the Feature Class out of the FeatureDataset or sometimes copy it. I have to save I rarely do this, so I'm currently happy with doing it manually, but @Bud's idea has merit if there is a need to automate things. I guess the challenge is what is lost when you move it out of a Feature Dataset.