Export PDF maps with Hyperlinks active

01-24-2011 10:41 AM
Labels (1)
BrianJohnson
New Contributor III

The ability to link features by using hyperlinks is great.

GPS cameras have made taking photos with geographic location and orientation very easy.  Making a point feature with this information, as well as a hyperlink to the photo file location is a great way to create an interactive map.  Clicking on a point can bring up the photo - just like the Panoramo feature on Google Maps.

However - you have to have a copy of the ESRI software to use this feature.  I think it would be a great tool to be able to export a map to PDF format and have the PDF retain these hyperlinks.  This would allow you to send a PDF maps with a folder of photos to a client - and they could use the map to view the photos quite easily.

Making a mapbook with an overview map, with hyperlinks to the inset maps within the same PDF would also be useful.  The PDF would appear to be an interactive map - clicking on areas to zoom in, with 'click here to go back to the overview map' links on each inset map.

41 Comments
wk
by
After exporting the ArcGIS map to pdf, the free Foxit Reader can be used to add hyperlinks. It's a workarround, but easy to learn.
CharlesRobbins2
This is a very old request and it still does not seem to be addressed at all.  I can add a hyperlink inside of acrobat pro with the ability to open a they hyperlink, so it seems there should be a way to get this working from ArcGIS.
am95405

I wanted to embe a hyperlink in a text box to give the reader more information without cluttering the space with a URL. Would have been nice to have this capability. Seems pretty basic these days.

by Anonymous User

Any updates? I also need this functionality, the ability to export data driven pages with embedded hyperlinks to other pages within that same pdf. 

BrianJohnson

Over six years, and some upvotes, but I doubt this will ever happen.

MichaelGartrell

Long ago, we used to be able to export hyperlinks with maps as html.  I *wish* PDF would support hyperlinks - I want external documents/web pages linked. Brian Johnson's pessimism seems well-placed though. See also "I want to export hyperlinks from ArcGIS Desktop... | Adobe Community"

HowardJohnston

This is needed ASAP!! Great idea.

DanielMeaney

It seems that we had overcome the hyperlinking problem by using the Terrago GeoPDF product. It's and add-on for ArcGIS. Its been a couple of years since I used it, but it did allow us to hyperlink between various map scales in our atlas, from countywide to medium scale to largest scale, just by clicking on the grids.  The software has lots of other great features for embedding coordinates and attribute data into PDFs.  The simplest license level of the product should provide the hyperlinking.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of how to do it ...

AdrianWelsh

It's 2019. Will this idea ever come to fruition? Please please please?!?

TijsLips

This works by typing "<url>" ahead of the hyperlink text, and "</url>" at the end.