Elevation Profile Improvement

06-08-2011 09:18 AM
Labels (1)
CameronWallace
Occasional Contributor II

Would love to be able to produce elevation profiles better... 
- Multi-Surface Display (with options for filling in between surfaces)
- add vertical exaggeration scale and scale definition options
- add to layout as editiable graphics, rather than rasterized image (or, even better, provide option to add as shapefiles within a seperate data frame with XY and Z coordinates "flipped" along the profile line - i.e. X coordinate would be distance along line, Y coordinate would be equivalent to Z, with some sort of option to apply vertical exaggeration while producing)
- provide options to display other 3D features alongside the surface profile (within X distance (i.e. underground utilities, boreholes, etc.)

Ultimately this type of tool would work in ArcMap, allowing display of profiles next to traditional map frames...

13 Comments
NathanShephard

Hi @Simonez - the tool will only be listed if you have elevation content in the map (or scene).

To add an elevation source (eg: raster DEM or a TIN), expand the 'Add Data' control on the Map ribbon and choose the 'Elevation Source Layer' option. You'll then get a 'Ground' section listed in your Contents pane, and can add more data sources to it (if needed) - eg: multiple DEMs covering your area of interest.

More info is in the "Add a ground surface to a map" section on this page:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/properties/elevation-surfaces.htm 

Thanks,

-Nathan.

Simonez

@NathanShephard - Nathan, I found it and it works, thank you very much!

Simone 

NathanShephard

Excellent!  Hope it helps!

-Nathan.