Easily remove white pixels from georeferenced plan

3 weeks ago
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2:

I have a .tiff engineering drawing that I've georeferenced. I want to only see the black lines in the image; I want the white background to be removed so that I can clearly see the ortho beneath the georeferenced image.

I imagine there is a way to remove the white pixels using raster geoprocessing tools. However, raster analysis isn't my area of expertise, and I recall raster editing being fiddly work, so I'm looking for an easier option.

Idea:

• A button in the Imagery ribbon to quicklly remove white (and near-white) pixels from the existing image (not a copy/export).

Bud_0-1712777959412.png

I'm aware I can make the entire image semi-transparent so that I can see the ortho beneath the image. That works to a degree, but the ortho is still somewhat obscured by the semi-transparent white pixels. It would be better if the white pixels were completely removed, improving visibility.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
marksm_macomb

With your raster layer selected in the contents pane, click on the "Raster Layer" tab in the ribbon, then play around with these Layer Blend modes, specifically the darkening ones. I think "multiply" will do what you want for a pure white background. Sometimes I have old plans with a more yellow background and a different blend mode is needed for that. No geoprocessing tools needed!

marksm_macomb_0-1712779196051.png

ODWC_GIS

Wanted to Kudo @marksm_macomb, but only the 'new comment' window was active.

CharlesGrant

You can change the primary symbology to Classify (which creates 2 classes); change the color scheme to Black to White; then change the white to No Color. It just leaves the black lines.

CharlesGrant_1-1713376011894.png

CharlesGrant_2-1713376104823.png

Bud
by

Thanks @marksm_macomb and @CharlesGrant.

@dolson_farmington and @MErikReedAugusta might find this interesting.