Select to view content in your preferred language

Drag items from Contents Pane to open attribute Table

06-23-2022 12:58 PM
Labels (1)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

I would like to be able to drag items from my contents pane onto the map in order to open the attribute table.

It would be far more efficient than right-clicking the item in the contents pane and selecting "View Attributes".

Tags (1)
8 Comments
KoryKramer

Just wanted to make sure you knew about Ctrl+T to open the table. You can also hold Ctrl and double-click which opens the table.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/map-authoring/contents-pane-shortcuts.htm

AlfredBaldenweck

Thanks for letting me know; I did not know that.

I do think that dragging would still be a worthwhile enhancement; I found myself trying to do it several times today.

Especially if by dragging you could control which set of tabs it goes into when it opens; that'd be really useful and prevent a lot of shuffling if you don't have the right set of tabs selected when opening the table.

KoryKramer

Thanks @AlfredBaldenweck Can you provide some more details and screenshots around "Especially if by dragging you could control which set of tabs it goes into when it opens; that'd be really useful and prevent a lot of shuffling if you don't have the right set of tabs selected when opening the table." ?

Currently, if I drag a layer from (one map's) contents pane onto another map, it adds that layer to the other map. Are you trying to open the attribute table from one map in another map, or trying to open all attribute tables together in a group of attribute tables? Could you provide some explanation and screenshots? Thanks

KoryKramer_0-1656073965076.png

AlfredBaldenweck

Of course; thank you for your continued engagement.

I'm thinking more of opening several attribute tables at once, although I think my suggested solution would cover a variety of use-cases.

I recently found myself doing a lot of work which involved my screen looking something like this.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1656089197440.png
Image ID: A screenshot of ArcGIS Pro, with the Contents Pane on the left. The workspace is divided into four squares of roughly equal size. The upper left square contains an active map, while the other squares contain one or two tabs of Attribute Tables. Two tab groups are located in the lower left square, which is bisected horizontally.

Currently, opening an attribute table through clicking (or Ctrl+T, etc.) will open the table in the most recent set of tabs, ignoring the open map's tab group. It will have no problem opening in the same tab group as an inactive map.

After doing some thinking, my enhancement request is kind of a two-pronged solution:

1. Dragging an item from the Contents Pane onto its own map causes the attribute table to open in the last tab group you were in.
  2. Dragging a layer from the Contents Pane to a tab group turns it into that blue tab preview that you get when moving panes around, allowing you to dock it wherever you want.
    AlfredBaldenweck_2-1656091991384.png
    Image ID: An almost identical screenshot of ArcGIS Pro, showing a large, semi-transparent, blue rectangle in the lower left quadrant where the user is in the process of docking a tab.

1. I think to maintain the current functionality of adding the layers to another map, if the map is open and visible, you'd have to drag up to the tab bar to open the table, AlfredBaldenweck_1-1656094189266.png
      but if a table is open, you could just drag directly onto it.
  1. I don't really have a good idea for opening it as a free-floating window. Perhaps dragging it up to the ribbon?

Thanks again

Bud
by

Merged from a separate idea.

It would be handy if we could drag tables from the Contents pane to the map or Attribute Table to open the table.

I’m aware that there are other ways to do that, such as CTRL+Double-click on the table in the Contents pane. But as a new ArcGIS Pro user, I find myself wanting to drag the table from the TOC to the map or Attribute Table to open it. But currently, I don’t think it works that way.

Bud
by

Like this:

drag table to open.gif

AlfredBaldenweck
alex_friant

This is a very good idea. The behavior pattern is already implemented from the Catalog Pane/View to a map when you can drag/drop a feature class to a specific map.

It would be great to be able to drag a layer/table to a already opened table and have that open the attribute table in that table view group. Bonus points to have the positional icons appear so you could choose to dock the table where ever you wanted.