Select to view content in your preferred language

Domains View — Indicate that saving sorting only applies to sorting the descriptions, not the codes

12-19-2023 08:49 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1:

My understanding about sorting & saving in the Domains View is:

1. If I sort and save on the Code column, then saving has no effect.
  2. If I sort and save on the Description column, then saving does have an effect.
    1. Side note: There is a quirk where the Domains View sorting reverts to the original sorting when saved; the user needs to hit refresh to see the newly saved sorting. Esri Case #03512501 - Domains View: Sorting codes does not persist when saved
    2. Technical Support Problem: The sorted coded value domain is not retained in the ArcGIS Pro Domains view:
      https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/problem-the-sorted-coded-value-domain-is-not-retained-... 

Bud_0-1703004281709.png

Regarding #1:

That behavior is unintuitive. I suppose it makes sense that the domain would only ever be sorted and saved on the Description, not the Code, since the purpose of coded value domains is to display the descriptions. But when using the Save option, it's not clear that sorting and saving on the Codes will have no effect.

Could the wording be changed? Maybe to something like "Save sorted order? (Description only)", or something better?