Select to view content in your preferred language

Create temporary vector layers

07-31-2024 09:48 AM
Labels (1)
FranzLeonardo
Frequent Contributor

I would like ArcGIS Pro to have the option/button to create temporary layers (points, lines or polygons). It would be very handy when we don't want to create a permanent file if we only want to draw something temporarily.
P.S. The ‘New Temporary Scratch Layer’ button in QGIS if it was in ArcGIS would be perfect.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
SSWoodward

Thanks for this idea.  Do you ever use the memory workspace?

Creating feature classes and tables in the memory workspace will save you from writing them to disk.

FranzLeonardo

@SSWoodward thank you, it is also useful, but as an end-user you always prefer things that are simpler and at hand, without the need to go through a few steps.

AlfredBaldenweck

Yeah, I was actually thinking about this recently-- I tried using one of those geoprocessing tools where you can draw on the map to like, set the extent or something, and I was dismayed to find that I got saddled with what should have just been a throwaway featureclass clogging up my default file gdb.

KoryKramer

@FranzLeonardo You could add a graphics layer to create temporary points, lines, polygons... This doesn't create features in a database, and when you're done, if you need to, just remove the graphics layer.

FranzLeonardo

@KoryKramer but it's not the same, there you can't calculate geometries and you don't have the potential of vector layers, even temporarily, for example in QGIS I love that option, especially when I teach or lecture.