Select to view content in your preferred language

Contents — Apply all properties from one layer to a different layer

03-28-2023 10:33 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

For scenarios where there is a problem with an existing feature layer in the Contents pane, such as: 

Here's how I'd fix the layer:

1. Add a new layer to the map (same underlying data).
  2. Manually re-do the properties in the new layer.

Often, I've spent quite a lot of time setting up the properties of the old layer. So it would be ideal if I didn't have to manually set up the properties in the new layer. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to import ALL the properties from one layer to another. 

Could that functionality be added?

Notes: 

• Of course, I'm hoping that the original problem doesn't migrate to the new layer when the properties get imported. But I suppose that might happen in some cases. Could that be solved by allowing the user to choose what kinds of properties to import to the new layer -- from a list of property types? 
    • Joins
    • Definition queries
    • Symbols
    • Labels
    • Any other properties
      That way I could exclude the problematic property.
  • I'm aware that there is a geoprocessing tool for importing the symbology from one layer to another. And I could also save individual definition queries to files, then re-add them to the new layer. That functionality is good. But it would be better if there were a way to import ALL properties in a single action.
3 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.

The Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video have been posted to the Esri Community blog. You can take a look at these to see your idea and all others that were implemented in this release of ArcGIS Pro.

Bud
by

Thanks for implementing the core concept of this idea. I posted a follow-up idea: Copy/paste layer properties — Choose individual properties