Construct Corridor Polygon

03-20-2024 09:43 AM
Labels (1)
JohnJanzen
New Contributor III

Construct a polygon via a single line/corridor.  Similar to buffer, but without creating another feature.  Draw a line with options (corridor width, square or rounded ends), then double-click to end the line and construct the polygon.  Example: cogo a right-of-way centerline and build the ROW width automatically.

2 Comments
AmirBar-Maor

@JohnJanzen 

If this idea is required to manage land records, you should enter it as part of the parcel fabric community and tools.

We are considering creating a dedicated tool to create ROWs and easements similar to what you are asking for. You can provide a centerline (road, rail, utility) and determine the offsets. The 2 ends of the ROW could be closed and better yet - extended and trimmed to other specified features.

You should also be aware that any cadastral / land records solution you have that does not use the parcel fabric is regarded by Esri as your custom solution.

Let us know if you would like us to move this idea to the parcel fabric community.

JohnJanzen

Hello Amir,

ROW creation was just the example I used for a use case of this tool, and you're right, there are different considerations for the parcel fabric as you describe.  I see this more of a method of generic polygon creation, similar to "rectangle", "circle" or "elipse".  Draw a line and a polygon is created at "X" distance either side.  This idea came from a need to draw a 50' wide corridor that didn't follow any other features.  And rather than create a centerline then create another a polygon, then delete the centerline, it just seems like there could be a way to do the polygon in a single step.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking forward to the ROW tool in Parcel Fabric.