Select to view content in your preferred language

Consistent Terminology: FC >> Attribute Table vs. Table >> Open

12-04-2022 06:26 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

To open the attribute table of a feature class, the right-click menu option is "Attribute Table":

Bud_0-1670163562826.png

To open the attribute table of a standalone table, the right-click menu option is "Open":

Bud_1-1670163607236.png

As a new ArcGIS Pro user:
When I go to open the attribute table of a standalone table, I often overlook the "Open" option. I think I'm usually looking for an "Attribute Table" button, or something like that, not "Open".

Idea:
Could the terminology be made more consistent for those two scenarios? I.e., make both be "Attribute Table".

I think that would be more intuitive for new users.

1 Comment
RoseF
by

I completely understand the issue you're having because I become a creature of habit, always looking in the same place for the same thing. Do you think something like "Open Table" or even just "Table" might help? Or maybe, for consistency's sake, call it what it is: a non-spatial table. So the list would say "Non-spatial Table" instead of "Attribute Table".

MY SOLUTION: instead of picking either of these options from a list, I hold the Ctrl key down and double click on the table or layer in the Contents Pane; his opens the table right up and I don't have to look through a list.