Select to view content in your preferred language

Combine System Folders in a Project

08-24-2022 08:23 PM
Labels (1)
NathanHeickLACSD
Regular Contributor

I just noticed that with ArcGIS Pro 3.0, there is yet another system folder in ArcGIS Pro project folders, namely GPMessages.  There are the following system folders in my brand new project and I believe there are even more out there once you start using it:

• .backups
  • GPMessages
  • ImportLog
  • Index

My suggestion is to combine all of those folders into a single folder.  They're a nuisance when it comes to source control and you have to make exceptions for every new folder that pops up when you use a project and perform an action.  I have to put the projects I used for publishing into source control.  Also, it's annoying to look into a project folder and half of the items are something I don't care about.

11 Comments
bdewitt_olsson

ESRI seems to operate, and have always operated, under a grand delusion that people never access their file types through Windows Explorer. This couldn't be further from the truth, and the junky folder structure that results may well be the single most frustrating aspect of ESRI, especially for new users. Clean up your act ESRI, quite literally.