Select to view content in your preferred language

Catalog Pane — Indicate if GP tool honors selection by adding a selection icon to tool description

Tuesday
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5

As discussed with @JonathanNeal in a separate message, I'm wondering if it would help to add a selection icon in GP tool descriptions in the Catalog Pane to indicate if the tool honors selections.

Bud_0-1725388647548.png

For example, with the Join Field tool, if rows are selected in the join table via Select By Attributes, only those selected rows will be populated in the new fields in the Input table. Related use case: 
https://community.esri.com/t5/data-management-questions/1-m-join-to-pull-feature-with-specific-attri... 
However, the Add Join tool does not work that way; selection are not honored.

I'm aware that it's generally known that most geoprocessing tools honor selections unless otherwise specified. But there are exceptions, so I think it would be helpful to clarify this important difference between similar tools. 

1 Comment
JakeJacobsAVA

This is a great idea. I often spend a couple minutes reading the help for a gp tool to confirm whether or not it honors the selection set. The information is not necessarily in the same place for every tool. This would be very useful.