Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Support for Windows Package Manager

02-16-2024 01:19 PM
Labels (1)
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can't say it any better than Microsoft ( Windows Package Manager | Microsoft Learn😞

Windows Package Manager is a comprehensive package manager solution that consists of a command line tool (WinGet) and set of services for installing applications on Windows devices.

Windows Package Manager is a helpful tool for:

Package management hasn't been a strength of the Windows operating system since the beginning, but Windows Package Manager is a positive step forward.  I have been pleasantly surprised by how many organizations are supporting it, and I would now say Esri stands out for not supporting it for ArcGIS Pro.

1 Comment
GuusKlaas1

Honestly, considering the amount of automation that is going into Windows-tier software, and the rapid CI/CD-style update cycle of the dependencies (even Esri themselves mention that keeping the .Net desktip runtime up-to-date is highly recommended), I'd strongly be in favour of having the majority of Esri windows-based applications be available in this manner:

Considering the licensing is already done by other means, I significantly doubt there'd be much of an obstacle in providing deployment in this manner.