Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro feature renaming

06-28-2022 11:14 AM
Labels (1)
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

Perhaps there is an error in the feature renaming logic of Pro. I have observed this in both 3.0 and 2.9.3 but don't have a machine to look further back.

During some data management I had to rename some features in a file gdb. 

I accidentally inserted a space 'feature 988' instead of an underscore 'feature_988' with some additional characters in the feature name and both Pro 3.0 and 2.9.3 return the obvious error with no visible change in the feature name. However once I closed the error dialog I went to rename the feature again and with the rename feature active the ' 988' was visible. 

Perhaps 2 things need to occur here:

1. The renaming logic needs to be looked at - a first level check for feature rename validity that errors out of the effort before the rename actually kick off.
  2. The original name needs to be retained so if in the event of an error the feature name is not left in a potentially weird situation like I am seeing.

Respectfully,

Tom

Tags (2)
4 Comments
DuncanHornby

I can replicate the issue in ArcPro 3.0. A work around is to right click on the file geodatabase and refresh it before you right click on the feature class to rename it correctly.

NaicongLi
Status changed to: In Product Plan

NaicongLi

Hello @ThomasHoman and @DuncanHornby ,

Thank you for your suggestions!  This is in fact a bug which is resolved is the upcoming release of ArcGIS Pro 3.2.

Thanks again for your feedback.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

As noted in the earlier comment, this is addressed in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. 

Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.

The Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video have been posted to the Esri Community blog. You can take a look at these to see all the ideas that were implemented in this release of ArcGIS Pro.