Select to view content in your preferred language

Add support for Azure AD authentication for geodatabases in Azure SQL DB or Azure Managed Instance.

12-13-2022 01:41 PM
Labels (1)
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

When moving to Azure, many organizations implement Azure AD as a single source of authentication within the Azure environment.  However, when connecting ArcGIS Pro to an Azure SQL Database or Managed Instance, the connection properties window does not provide the user an option to choose "Azure Active Directory" for the authentication.  

Please add this as an option so, we can manage access to our geodatabases in Azure the same way we manage access to other Azure resources within our organization.

5 Comments
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the idea 

As of Pro 3.0 users are able to connect to an Azure SQL database using Azure Active Directory. When accessing the authentication options through the connection properties window, two authentication schemes are accessible, Azure Active Directory Universal with MFA and Azure Active Directory Password.

SSWoodward_0-1673395815947.png

Do either of these authentication options match the intent of your Idea?

AndrewRudin1

That's great, so yes that fulfills my idea. I'm on Pro 2.9 and didn't realize this option was added in 3.0.    In parallel on the ArcGIS Enterprise side, does Enterprise 11.0 add the ability for the server to authenticate with an Azure SQL database in a similar way using a service account in Azure AD?

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Already Offered

Yes @AndrewRudin1 , that functionality is now available. 

I've included a link for more information on what's new in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 on Azure if you are interested in seeing what other functionality has been added in the latest version.

Link - What's new in ArcGIS Enterprise on Microsoft Azure

MattMoore

@SSWoodward how does this apply to ArcGIS Enterprise, specifically ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 versus 11.1? I'd imagine 11.1 supports this but what about 10.9.1?

SSWoodward

@MattMoore this was added as new functionality at ArcGIS Server 11.0.  Users operating on 10.9.1 will not be presented with this option.