Select to view content in your preferred language

Add ability to clear and set active SQL filter for Labels

06-14-2022 03:35 PM
Labels (1)
MelissaBrooks
Occasional Contributor

Background

I want to control label classes down to the SQL filter level. 

This is not the same as pausing all layers.

This helps with:

• Map Authoring
  • Product QA
  • Exporting/sharing scenarios to outputs quickly (PDF as an example)
  • Consistency in ArcGIS Pro UX

Context

The functionality I would like to see falls in the SQL filter in the Label itself

Currently to see the label class without the filter I need to delete the query.

labelfilter.png

Idea

With both being logically similar, the Clear/Set Active filter functionality makes sense to be available in the Label SQL filter config also.

This would help with consistency in UX when coming across this SQL interface.

Reference

The Definition Query Documentation explains the idea of being able to Clear/Set Active filters using the tick icon in the green circle. See "Set the active definition query" section for the Definition Query Documentation, also screenshot below.

layerfilter.png

-----------

I'm more than happy to provide more information,

Regards

Melissa Brooks

Three Waters Planner

New Plymouth District Council

4 Comments
CraigWilliams

My recommendation in this case would be to create another label class and just toggle between the two classes

MelissaBrooks

Hi @CraigWilliams 

Is this a new feature? I forgot to mention we are still on 2.6.1 but will soon have the update.

To do what you suggest, we would need two separate layers, the post above illustrates that I was not able to do what you’re suggesting within a single layer. There is no ‘toggle’ option I could see. Are you able to elaborate? Or include screenshots with Pro version? 

thanks for getting back

Melissa

KoryKramer

@MelissaBrooks Here is the documentation on using label classes - it isn't new. 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/text/label-classes.htm

KoryKramer_0-1656333604716.png

You can have multiple label classes in place on a single layer. In order to "toggle" between them, if the hold the Alt key and click the checkbox next to the label class you want to display, it will only draw that class and turn all others off. Hold Alt and click the checkbox for a different class and it will only draw that one and turn all others off.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/map-authoring/contents-pane-shortcuts.htm 

Hope this helps.

MelissaBrooks

Hi @KoryKramer 

Thanks for this, its good to know you can switch label classes on and off using the tab in the TOC. 

This helps to understand how the product is intended to be used. I think I can work with this.

It does, however, still illustrate that there are differences between these two similarly logical SQL filtering methods at a UI level.

By this logic there should also be a tab in the TOC for Definition Queries so we can easily turn Definition Queries on and off without having to go into the layer properties.

I understand the label class is holding more than just the filter, it also holds the formula and style.

Perhaps the question of why does a Definition query have the ability to mute an individual query when this same logic dictates you should create a second layer with a new definition query?

I know I might be stuck on a relatively minor issue but when they are built to look so similar but are logically implemented differently it was not clear to me that label classes can only have one filter but a layer can have many.

I appreciate the swift feedback, thanks for helping to get us back on the right track.

Cheers

Melissa