Add a tool/extension/integration in Pro to allow data export into shapefile and upload to Google Maps

11-07-2022 01:54 PM
Labels (1)
Teresa_Blader
Occasional Contributor III

In order to streamline data sharing with Google Maps, since they don't take WMS, there could be a geoprocessing tool that allows you to export the authoritative addresses, centerlines, road closures, points of interest etc to a shapefile (as Google requests) with the required fields (with field matching like it does now when exporting) for the Geo Data Uploader and then it has a sign-on connection for the Geo Data Uploader for Google Maps. 

Step 1 would be connecting to the geodatabase that you want to share

Step 2 would be selecting which type of Geo Data Uploader Content it is from a drop down

Step 3 would be matching the fields to the required Geo Data Uploader Fields dynamic based on the previous selection

Step 4 would be entering in Geo Data Uploader credentials (like for YouTube in Adobe Premier Pro)

Run!

Google suggests doing quarterly batch updates from local agencies, so maybe there's some restrictions like an administrator gives one person access to the tool to process... or there's some sort of "submitted on behalf of the agency" option... not sure! 

Think Google could get on board?? Is this a conflict of interest? 😅

5 Comments
BruceHarold

Does the Geo Data Uploader have an API or is it just a standalone tool?

Teresa_Blader
joshv_gis

Hi @Teresa_Blader  - I'm part of the GIS team associated with Google's Geo Data Upload site. @BruceHarold  kindly passed on the link to your post.

Feels like you're describing something similar to the ArcGIS Pro Tools that the Esri Community Basemaps program offer for getting data in to shape prior to submission?

We'd be keen to understand more about your case and requirements. Given it's a little out of scope for an Esri fix, if you're keen, would you mind private messaging me your contact details, and I can broker a conversation with the right people on the Google side? 

regards,

Josh

Teresa_Blader

Thanks! I will do that!

DrewFlater
Status changed to: Closed

This isn't something that would be provided as a core software geoprocessing tool in ArcGIS Pro. Based on the connections in the comments there might be other ways to achieve the desired goal.