Select to view content in your preferred language

Points not building

Jump to solution
a month ago
Labels (1)
MarkByers
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I'm noticing that when points are extremely close to each other only one of them will build. Does anyone know if there is a threshold parameter I can change that would allow all points to build regardless of how close they are to adjacent points? Or is there any other way to force a point to build? What I am after is the ability to use the 'Merge Points' tool. I have used several other alignment tools and methods as workarounds but the simplest and fastest method for me in most circumstances is to use the 'Merge Points' tool. Having these un-constructed  points is preventing me from doing so.

Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing, note that I am scaled all the way in at 1:0.06

Points_Not_Building_2.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Hey Mark,

This is by design of the XY Tolerance of the topology.  Those end points are within that tolerance and only one point is created.  Once I clicked validate since they were within that tolerance they ended up snapping together afterwards. 

After Build only one point is created as you saw

JasonCamerano_0-1727815868268.png

Then I clicked Validate (and refreshed my extent)

JasonCamerano_1-1727815899229.png

The lines are now snapped together to that one point that was created

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Hey Mark,

This is by design of the XY Tolerance of the topology.  Those end points are within that tolerance and only one point is created.  Once I clicked validate since they were within that tolerance they ended up snapping together afterwards. 

After Build only one point is created as you saw

JasonCamerano_0-1727815868268.png

Then I clicked Validate (and refreshed my extent)

JasonCamerano_1-1727815899229.png

The lines are now snapped together to that one point that was created

MarkByers
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jason,

Thanks so much for the reply! I gave this a shot and while it does snap the lines together it appears to do so by moving both the built and unbuilt points to a location somewhere in the middle between them, whereas the 'merge points' tool preserves the original location of the point that's being snapped to.

Is the XY tolerance of the topology the same as the XY tolerance of the parcel fabric found in the 'domain, resolution and tolerance' tab of the fabric's properties? Is there a way to adjust the tolerance so that all points will build regardless of their proximity to others?

I realize I am being a little picky here but this helps me strengthen my understanding.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

There are ways to modify the topology tolerance but it is not recommended as it can have downstream effects. The XY Tolerance of the PF is the same as the topology tolerance, yes.  And the snapping/clustering is set to 10*XY Tolerance.  The snapping of the XY tolerance is the desired behavior for complete topological integrity.  The movement you are seeing there is about a centimeter or so based on the XY Tolerance that is set for the Topology. 

MarkByers
Occasional Contributor

That all makes perfect sense, I'll leave the XY tolerance alone and stick to the 'validate topology' method in these instances. Thank you so much for the clarification you've been a huge help!