Merge Parcel Points Should Filter Selection

10-13-2021 07:46 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When using tools like Explode, I see this notice:

jcarlson_0-1634135975869.png

Other tools are like this as well. When the tool is specific to certain kinds of features, it makes sense that they should be filtered out.

I'd like to see Merge Parcel Points behave this way. I use the tool on a daily basis, and if I'm not using the "Select Fully Within" mode, I get all my polygons and lines selected as well, which can make it difficult to see what I'm doing.

I could turn the layers off, but I like to see them to help determine which point is supposed to be preserved when merging. I could make the layers not selectable, but that's a time-consuming process. I could create a separate map even use Tasks to make the other layers unselectable specifically for using this tool.

These workarounds seem hacky and time-consuming. If the tool simply filtered my selection to point features only, it would be a definite improvement.

4 Comments
Keith_Forte

This is definitely not a solution, just my 2cents on your plight...while I can't speak to the possible enhancement to the tool, I can share an editing maneuver that I use regarding chaotic selections...yup, still hacky, but not very time consuming at all, only a couple of seconds once I got the hang of it...for a number of reasons (this issue being one of them), I always have my Attributes pane docked when I am editing...when my selection set gets messy across multiple layers, I simply go over to the Attributes Pane, RT Click the layer header and click 'Only Select This'...at MOST you may have add a few clicks to collapse a few layer headers to see the points layer you want, but it bypasses the need to mess with 'List by Selection' in the Contents Pane.  Like I said, just my 2cents.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Good catch Josh.

We are targetting ArcGIS Pro 3.0 to implement it = replace the standard selection tool with the editing  selection tool that will only select  points

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

This enhancement is included in Pro 3.0.

The merge points selection tool can only select points.

Other improvements point "label" with an incremental value starting from '1' and the ability to resize the selected points area in the pane.

jcarlson

Already appreciating this update! Thanks again, @AmirBar-Maor !