Allow the Align Features tool to honour Map Topology instead of GDB Topology

02-01-2024 02:05 PM
MizukiKayano2
New Contributor III

We are using an ArcGIS Pro parcel fabric and often rely on the Align Features tool to fix up certain gaps/overlaps/old join mistakes in the data. While this typically works ok, the Align Features tool seems to only honour the GDB topology, even if I have Map Topology specified in the Edit ribbon. With how our connection lines intersect our parcel lot lines, this means the Align Features tool will crack the data at these intersections. The video below demonstrates the behaviour I am describing: 

The Move tool has similar behaviour; however, the Move tool honours the topology setting in the Edit Ribbon as well as the visible layers in the map, so we can get around this by setting the topology to Map topology and also disabling visibility of our connection lines. The same process has no impact on the Align Features tool, currently. 

I am requesting that the Align Features tool be enhanced to honour the topology that is set in the Edit ribbon.

13 Comments
TimHodson

Thanks @SarahSibbett - I totally understand the request in the idea, and it absolutely makes sense to have this consistency with Move tool and the way it behaves with Map topology in Pro. Thanks for clarifying!

My previous responses are only to make sure anyone reading this post are aware of the "Snap line ends to path" capabilities as an approach to get around this current limitation in Align Features when working with parcels.

When using the Align Features tool, I'd also recommend avoiding the option "Preserve shapes outside the alignment area", as this will add extra vertices at the locations that intersect the perimeter of the alignment area.

AlignFeaturesMapTopologyPreserveShapesOutside.gif

The methodology you describe with the Move tool also requires the "Stretch Topology" button to be turned on. For parcel boundaries this would (likely?) always be necessary.

TimHodson_0-1707509826273.png

On a separate but related note, we have development work in progress (release version TBD) to enhance the move tool to be aware of parcel edges, independent of layer visibility.

-Tim

SarahSibbett

@TimHodson thanks for the additional info and tips - always appreciated!

Question: BUG-000164978, that was a logged as a result of this thread - is there a version you are targeting a fix for? 

TimHodson

Hi @SarahSibbett - this will be fixed in the next release: ArcGIS Pro 3.3.

Additional note: the align features tool, when used with a parcel fabric, will also automatically merge points that would otherwise be co-located; this was an enhanced capability introduced in 3.0. This also ties in with the other thread on Align Parcels regarding preserving the older point. With ArcGIS Pro 3.3 Align Features will follow the same pattern as for Align Parcels and will preserve the older point (unless if the younger point is a fixed point and the older point is not.)

-Tim